Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Scanning on Linux will drive you Xsane!





xsane is an excellent tool for scanning on Linux, I've used it for 25 years, since I worked with the developer to resolve some issues running it under Solaris long ago. Until my recent upgrade to Fedora 31, everything worked fine with Xsane, with my old Epson USB scanner and then my Brother network scanner.  All of a sudden, xsane was giving "segmentation fault, core dumped" on start up, but only on 1 of the computers running Fedora 31, my main desktop.  On the others it worked fine. Here's the problem I found:

locnar<885>% gdb xsane
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/xsane
Thread 1 "xsane" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007fffee9c07c0 in sanei_scsi_close ()
   from /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1

This ibsane-epkowa.so.1 was installed by the iscan package. Once I removed it, the trouble disappeared. I reinstalled xsane and sane-backends, followed by running linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 and I was back to scanning!

One issue I ran into with linux-brprinter-installer was it tried to install .deb packages and I need the .rpm packages on Fedora. This was because it tests to see if you have /bin/dpkg, which I did along with alien, so it thought I was on the wrong OS.


No comments:

Post a Comment